Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science, MIT, received in June 1989.
UCF Academic Experience (all full time):
- UCF, Professor, Chair of Computer Science Division, Oct. 2011 – present
- UCF, Professor, Interim Chair of EECS and CS Division, Sept 2010 - Oct. 2011 - UCF, Professor, Associate Chair of EECS, Aug. 2008-Sept. 2010
- UCF, Professor, 2007-present
Other Academic Experience (all full time):
- Iowa State University, Professor of Computer Science, Aug. 2000-July 2007
- Iowa State University, Associate Professor of Computer Science, Aug. 1995-Aug. 2000 - Iowa State University, Assistant Professor of Computer Science, Jan. 1989-Aug. 1995
Bell Telephone Laboratories, Member of Technical Staff, development and maintenance of large software management system, May 1979-Aug. 1982, full time.
Cutler-Hammer, Inc., Programmer-Coder, design of real-time control and monitoring software, code conversion, May-Sept. 1978, full time summer employment.
Current Membership in Professional Organizations:
Senior member of the Association for Computing Machinery and its special interest groups for programming languages and software engineering. Senior member of the IEEE Computer Society and its technical committee on software engineering. Member of the American Association of University Professors. Member of the European Association for Programming Languages and Systems. Member of IFIP Working Group 2.3 (Programming Methodology). Acting chair and member of IFIP Working Group 1.9/2.15 (Verified Software). Member of the American Society for Engineering Education. Member of the Americian Association for the Advancement of Science.
Honors and Awards (for the past 5 years):
Recognition of Service Award, ACM, 2012 (for serving as SPLASH 2012 general chair). Upsilon Pi Epsilon honor society membership, April 2011. Recognition of Service Award, ACM, 2009 (for serving as OOPSLA 2009 research program committee chair).
Service Activities (within and outside of the institution for the past 5 years):
Acting chair of IFIP Working Group 1.9/2.15 (Verified Software), since March 2013. - Co-editor in chief for Transactions on Aspect-Oriented Software Development (Springer-Verlag), from May 2011 to March 2013.
- Editorial board member for Transactions on Aspect-Oriented Software Development (Springer-Verlag), since November 2009.
- Associate Editor for Journal of Object Technology (online), since May 2010.
- Assistant editor for Software and Systems Modeling (SoSyM) (published by Springer- Verlag), since 2001.
- Steering committee member for the ACM conference series Systems, Programming, Languages and Applications: Software for Humanity (SPLASH), since October 2011.
- General chair for the ACM conference SPLASH, October 2012.
- Member of the ACM SIGPLAN CACM Research Highlights Nominating Committee, from January 2011 to May 2012.
- Co-chair of program committee Verified Software: Theories, Tools, Experiments (VSTTE) in 2010.
- Research program committee chair for the ACM conference Object-Oriented Programming: Systems, Languages, and Applications (OOPSLA) 2009.
- Co-organizer of two workshop series: Foundations of Aspect-Oriented Languages (FOAL) and Formal Techniques for Java-like Programs (FTfJP).
- Refereeing for many journals and evaluation of proposals on NSF panels.
Publications representative publications (from the past five years):
- Ghaith Haddad and Gary T. Leavens. Specifying Subtypes in Safety Critical Java Programs. To appear in Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, 23 pages, published online October 4, 2012.
- Henrique Rebêlo, Ricardo Lima, Gary T. Leavens, Márcio Cornelio, Alexandre Mota, and Caesar Oliveria. Optimizing Generated Aspect-Oriented Assertion Checking Code for JML Using Program Transformations: An Empirical Study. To appear in Science of Computer Programming, 16 pages, published online October 4, 2012.
- John Hatcliff, Gary T. Leavens, K. Rustan M. Leino, Peter Müller, and Matthew Parkinson. Behavioral Interface Specification Languages. ACM Computing Surveys, 44(3):16:1-16:58, Jun., 2012.
- C. A. R. Hoare, Jayadev Misra, Gary T. Leavens, and Natarajan Shankar. The Verified Software Initiative: A Manifesto. ACM Computing Surveys, 41(4):1-8, Oct., 2009
- Jose Sanchez and Gary T. Leavens. Separating Obligations of Subjects and Handlers for More Flexible Event Type Verification. To appear in International Conference on Software Composition, Budapest, Hungary, June 19th, 2013
- Shin Hwei Tan, Darko Marinov, Lin Tan and Gary T. Leavens. @tComment: Testing Javadoc Comments to Detect Comment-Code Inconsistencies. In Fifth International Conference on Software Testing, Verification and Validation (ICST 2012), Montreal, April 2012, pages 260-269. (39/145 accepted.)
Professional Development Activities (for the past 5 years):
Various activities for department chairs. CRA’s chair’s conference at Snowbird (twice) and the CRA’s Leadership in Science Policy Institute in 2011.