- Trusted and reliable processors and integrated circuits
- Cryptographic hardware and embedded systems
- Proof-carrying based hardware IP cores protection
- Functional programming and proof writing for trusted IP cores
- Trustworthy SoC architecture
- Hardware-software co-design for system level security protection
- 2012, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, USA, Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering - Advisor: Yiorgos Makris, Thesis Title: "Trusted Integrated Circuits"
- 2007, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China, M.S. in Electrical Engineering - Advisor: Shiju Li, Xiaolang Yan and Haibin Shen, Thesis Title, "High Performance Finite Field Multipliers"
- 2005, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China, B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Honors Graduate
- 2012 to Present, Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science University of Central Florida
- 2015 to Present, Hardware Security Subcommittee Chair, IEEE Technical Committee on Cybernetics for Cyber-Physical Systems (CCPS)
- 2015 to Present, Member of the Florida Institute for Cyber Security (FICS) at the University of Florida
- 2014 to Present, Associate Partner of Intel Collaborative Research Institute for Secure Computing
- Best Paper Award, Design Automation Conference (DAC), 2015
- Second Place Award (Advisor), Embedded System Challenge, Polytechnic School of Engineering, New York University, 2014
- Second Place Award (Advisor), Embedded System Challenge, Polytechnic School of Engineering, New York University, 2013
- First Place Award, Embedded Systems - Malicious Processor Design Challenge of the 2011 NYU-Poly Cyber Security Awareness Week (CSAW)
- Third Place Award, Embedded System Challenge, New York University - Poly- technic Institute, 2009
- Second Place Award, Embedded System Challenge, New York University - Poly- technic Institute, 2008
- Travel Award, NSF-SRC-SIGDA-DAC Design Automation Summer School, 2009
- Honor Graduate, Zhejiang Provincial Institution of Higher Learning, The Educational Office of Zhejiang Province, China, 2005
- Excellent Graduate Award, Zhejiang University, 2005
- Undergraduate Scholarship, Zhejiang University, 2001–2005
- ATARC Visionary Panel - Mobile Technology of the Future, ATARC Federal Mobile Computing Summit, August 12, 2015
- Hacking Things: Security and Privacy Challenges in Internet of Things, IEEE Conference on Communication and Network Security, September 28, 2015
- C. Hong, M. Potkonjak (Editors), “Secure System Design and Trustable Com- puting,” Springer, 2015 (Y. Jin, D. Maliuk, Y. Makris, “Chapter 7. Hardware Trojan Detection in Analog/RF Integrated Circuits”) (to appear)
- M. Tehranipoor, C. Wang (Editors), “Introduction to Hardware Security and Trust,” Springer, 2011 (Y. Jin, E. Love, Y. Makris, “Design for Hardware Trust”)
- O. Arias, J. Wurm, Khoa Hoang, Y. Jin, “Privacy and Security in Internet of Things and Wearable Devices,” IEEE Transactions on Multi-Scale Computing Systems. (to appear)
- Y. Jin, “Introduction to Hardware Security,” Electronics, vol. 4, issue. 4, pp. 763-784, 2015.
- Y. Bi, K. Shamsi, J. Yuan, P. Gaillardon, G. Micheli, X. Yin, X. Hu, M. Niemier, and Y. Jin, “Emerging Technology based Design of Primitives for Hardware Security,” ACM Journal on Emerging Technologies in Computing Systems. (to appear)
- Y. Bi, J. Yuan, and Y. Jin, “Beyond the Interconnections: Split Manufacturing in RF Designs,” Electronics, vol. 4, issue. 3, pp. 541-564, 2015.
- D. Oliveira, N. Wetzel, M. Bucci, J. Navarro, D. Sullivan, and Y. Jin, “Hardware- Software Collaboration for Secure Coexistence with Kernel Extensions,” ACM SIGAPP Applied Computing Review, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 22-35, September 2014.
- E. Love, Y. Jin, and Y. Makris, “Proof-Carrying Hardware Intellectual Prop- erty: A Pathway to Trusted Module Acquisition,” IEEE Transactions on In- formation Forensics and Security (TIFS), vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 25-40, January 2012.
- Y. Jin, and Y. Makris, “Hardware Trojans in wireless cryptographic integrated circuits,” IEEE Design & Test on Computers,, vol. 27, pp. 10-25, 2010.
- H. Shen, and Y. Jin, “Low Complexity Bit Parallel Multiplier for GF(2m) Gen- erated by Equally-Spaced Trinomials,” Information Processing Letters, Volume 107, Issue 6, 2008, pp. 211-215.
- Y. Jin, H. Shen, H. Chen, and X. Yan, “Research of Fast Modular Multiplier for a Class of Finite Fields,” Journal of Electronics (China), Volume 25, Issue 4, 2008, pp. 482-487.
- Y. Jin, “Hardware Security: Past, Current, and Future,” VLSI Circuits and Systems Letter, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 11-15, April 2015. (invited)
- Dean Sullivan, Y. Jin, “What is Hardware-based Cybersecurity?” ACM/SIGDA E-Newsletter, vol. 45, no. 4, April 2015. (invited)
- Sandip Ray, Yier Jin, “Security Policy Enforcement in Modern SoC Designs,” International Conference On Computer Aided Design, 2015. (invited)
- Kaveh Shamsi, Yu Bi, Yier Jin, Pierre-Emmanuel Gaillardon, Michael Niemier and X. Sharon Hu, “Reliable and High Performance STT-MRAM Architectures based on Controllable-Polarity Devices,” IEEE International Conference on Computer Design (ICCD), 2015. (accepted)
- Omar Nakhila, Yier Jin, and Cliff Zou, “Parallel Active Dictionary Attack on WPA2-PSK Wi-Fi Networks,” IEEE Military Communications Conference (MILCOM), 2015. (accepted)
- Yu Bi, Jiann-Shiun Yuan, and Yier Jin, “Split Manufacturing in Radio-Frequency Designs,” The 2015 International Conference on Security and Management (SAM’15), 2015, pp. 204-210.
- Lucas Davi, Matthias Hanreich, Debayan Paul, Ahmad-Reza Sadeghi, Patrick Koeberl, Dean Sullivan, Orlando Arias, and Yier Jin, “HAFIX: Hardware- Assisted Flow Integrity Extension,” IEEE/ACM Design Automation Confer- ence (DAC’15), 2015. (Best Paper Award)
- Xiaolong Guo, Raj Gautam Dutta, Yier Jin, Farimah Farahmandi, and Prab- hat Mishra, “Pre-Silicon Security Verification and Validation: A Formal Per- spective,”IEEE/ACM Design Automation Conference (DAC’15), 2015.
- Y. Liu, S. Hu, J. Wu, Y. Shi, Y. Jin, Y. Hu, and X. Li, “Impact assessment of net metering on smart home cyberattack detection,” IEEE/ACM Design Automation Conference (DAC’15), 2015.
- Charalambos Konstantinou, Michail Maniatakos, Fareena Saqib, Shiyan Hu, Jim Plusquellic, and Y. Jin, “Cyber-Physical Systems: A Security Perspec- tive,” European Test Symposium (ETS’15), 2015.
- J. Biggers, T. Meade, S. Zhang, Y. Pino, and Y. Jin, “Automated RTL Code Rebuilding through Netlist Analysis,” Government Microcircuit Applications and Critical Technology Conference (GOMACTech-15), 2015, pp. 155-158.
- Y. Bi, P-E. Gaillardon, X. Hu, M. Niemier, J-S. Yuan, and Y. Jin, “Leveraging Emerging Technology for Hardware Security - Case Study on Silicon Nanowire FETs and Graphene SymFETs,” Asia Test Symposium (ATS), 2014, pp. 342- 247.
- Y. Jin, “Design-for-Security vs. Design-for-Testability: A Case Study on DFT Chain in Cryptographic Circuits,” IEEE Computer Society Annual Symposium on VLSI (ISVLSI), 2014, pp. 19-24.
- D. Sullivan, J. Biggers, G. Zhu, S. Zhang, and Y. Jin, “FIGHT-Metric: Func- tional Identification of Gate-Level Hardware Trustworthiness,” Design Automa- tion Conference (DAC), 2014, pp. 173:1–173:4.
- Y. Jin, and D. Sullivan, “Real-Time Trust Evaluation in Integrated Circuits,” Design, Automation and Test in Europe Conference and Exhibition, (DATE), 2014.
- Y. Jin, “EDA Tools Trust Evaluation through Security Property Proofs,” Design, Automation and Test in Europe Conference and Exhibition, (DATE), 2014.
- Y. Jin, and Y. Makris, “A Proof-Carrying Based Framework for Trusted Micro- processor IP,” IEEE/ACM International Conference on Computer-Aided De- sign (ICCAD), November 2013, pp. 824-829.
- Y. Liu, Y. Jin, and Y. Makris, “Hardware Trojans in Wireless Cryptographic ICs: Silicon Demonstration and Detection Method Evaluation,” IEEE/ACM International Conference on Computer-Aided Design (ICCAD), November 2013, pp. 399-404.
- Y. Jin, D. Maliuk and Y. Makris, “A Post-Deployment IC Trust Evaluation Architecture,” Proceedings of IEEE International On-Line Testing Symposium (IOLTS), July 2013, pp. 224-225. (invited)
- Y. Jin, B. Yang and Y. Makris, “Cycle Accurate Information Assurance by Proof Carrying-Based Signal Sensitivity Tracing,” Proceedings of IEEE Inter- national Symposium on Hardware-Oriented Security and Trust (HOST), June 2013, pp. 99-106.
- O. Sinanoglu, N. Karimi, J. Rajendran, R. Karri, Y. Jin, D. Maliuk, K. Huang, Y. Makris, “Reconciling the IC Test and Security Dichotomy,” Proceedings of 18th IEEE European Test Symposium (ETS), May 2013, pp. 1-6.
- Y. Jin, M. Mihalis and Y. Makris, “Exposing Vulnerabilities of Untrusted Computing Platforms,” Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Design (ICCD), 2012, pp. 131-134.
- Y. Jin, and Y. Makris, “Proof Carrying-Based Information Flow Tracking for Data Secrecy Protection and Hardware Trust,” Proceedings of VLSI Test Symposium (VTS), 2012, pp. 252-257.
- Y. Jin, D. Maliuk and Y. Makris, “Post-Deployment Trust Evaluation in Wire- less Cryptographic ICs,” Proceedings of the Design, Automation & Test in Eu- rope (DATE), 2012, pp. 965-970.
- Y. Jin and Y. Makris, “PSCML: Pseudo-Static Current Mode Logic,” Pro- ceedings of 18th IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits, and Systems (ICECS), 2011, pp. 41-44.
- Y. Jin and Y. Makris, “Is Single Trojan Detection Scheme Enough?,” Proceed- ings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Design (ICCD), 2011, pp. 305-308.
- E. Love, Y. Jin and Y. Makris, “Enhancing Security via Provably Trustworthy Hardware Intellectual Property,” Proceedings of the IEEE International Sym- posium on Hardware-Oriented Security and Trust (HOST), 2011, pp. 12-17.
- Y. Jin and Y. Makris, “DFTT: Design-for-Trojan-Test,” Proceedings of 17th IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits, and Systems (ICECS), 2010, pp. 1168-1171.
- Y. Jin, N. Kupp and Y. Makris, “Experiences in Hardware Trojan Design and Implementation,” Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Hardware- Oriented Security and Trust (HOST), 2009, pp. 50-57.
- Y. Jin, and Y. Makris, “Hardware Trojan Detection Using Path Delay Finger- print,” Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Hardware-Oriented Security and Trust (HOST), 2008, pp. 51-57.
- Y. Jin, and H. Shen, “Revisiting Scalable Modular Multiplication over GF(2m) for Elliptic Curve Cryptography,” Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Solid-State and Integrated Circuit Technology (ICSICT), 2006, pp. 2114- 2117.
- Y. Jin, H. Shen, and R. You, “Implementation of SMS4 Block Cipher on FPGA,” Proceedings of International Conference on Communications and Net- working in China (CHINACOM), 2006, pp. 1-4.
- H. Shen, and Y. Jin, “Unbalanced Exponent Modular Reduction over Binary Field and Its Implementation,” Proceedings of International Conference on In- novative Computing, Information and Control (ICICIC), 2006, pp. 190-193.
- D. Li, Y. Jin, H. Shen, and X. Yan, “Design of Random Number Generation Algorithm,” Proceedings of International Conference on Computational Intelli- gence and Security (CIS), 2006, pp. 1287-1290.
- R. You, H. Shen, and Y. Jin, “Interconnect Estimation for Mesh-Based Re- configurable Computing,” Proceedings of The IFIP International Conference on Embedded and Ubiquitous Computing (EUC), LNCS 4096, 2006, pp. 766-775.
- R. Potter, Y. Jin, “Don’t Touch That Dial: How Smart Thermostats Have Made Us Vulnerable,” RSA Conference, 2015.
- Y. Jin, “Security and Privacy in Internet of Things and Wearable Devices,” CHASE Conference on Secure/Trustworthy Systems and Supply Chain Assur- ance, 2015.
- Y. Jin, “Embedded System Security in Smart Consumer Electronics,” 4th In- ternational Workshop on Trustworthy Embedded Devices (TrustED 2014), 2014, pp. 59-59.
- Y. Jin, G. Hernandez, and D. Buentello, “Smart Nest Thermostat: A Smart Spy in Your Home,” Black Hat USA, 2014.
- Y. Jin, and D. Oliveira, “Trustworthy SoC Architecture with On-Demand Security Policies and HW-SW Cooperation,” 5th Workshop on SoCs, Hetero- geneous Architectures and Workloads (SHAW-5), 2014.
- 2015 China Internet Security Conference (Keynote Speech), Beijing, China Sep 2015 Title: “Smart vs. Security: IoT Security and Protections”
- Notre Dame University, Notre Dame, IN Sep 2015 Title: “Introduction to Hardware Security - Formal Methods, IoT Security, and Reverse Engineering” (Host: X. Sharon Hu)
- 2015 NIST - Cybersecurity Innovation Forum, Washington, DC Sep 2015
- Title: “Hardware Trust and Integrity: The First Step Toward Securing Com- puter Systems” (Host: Andrew Regenscheid)
- Cisco, Gainesville, FL Sep 2015 Title: “IoT Security” (Host: Tony Jeffs)
- National Security Campus, Gainesville, FL Aug 2015 Title: “Introduction to Hardware Security - Formal Methods, IoT Security, and Reverse Engineering” (Host: Perry Tapp)
- Honeywell - FICS, Gainesville, FL Jun 2015 Title: “IoT/Hardware Security” (Host: Mark Tehranipoor)
- Raytheon - FICS, Gainesville, FL Jun 2015 Title: “Automated Functionality Rebuilding Through Netlist Reverse Engi- neering” (Host: Mark Tehranipoor)
- Trustworthy Hardware Workshop New York, NY Nov 2014 Title: “Computer System Protection through Run-time Hardware-Software Collaboration,” (Host: Ramesh Karri)
- University of George, Athens, GA Sep 2014 Title: “Computer System Protection through Hardware-Software Collabora- tion” (Host: Kang Li)
- Pennsylvania State University, State College, PA Sep 2014 Title: “Computer System Protection through Run-Time Hardware-Software Collaboration” (Host: Vijaykrishnan Narayanan)
- University of Connecticut Storrs, CT Aug 2014 Title: “Embedded System Security in Smart Consumer Electronics: A Case Study on Google Nest Thermostat” (Host: Domenic Forte)
- Information Sciences Institute/USC Washington, D.C. May 2014 Title: “Security in Silicon - Challenges and Opportunities Ahead” (Host: Youn- gok Pino)
- Intel Corp. Hillsboro, OR Nov 2013 Title: “Proof-Carrying Based Trusted Embedded System Design and Secure SoC Integration” (Host: David Ott and Mukesh Ranjan)
- Trustworthy Hardware Workshop New York, NY Nov 2013 Title: “Trusted Embedded System Design Through the Unification of Trusted Third-Party Software Programs and Hardware IP Cores” (Host: Cliff Wang)
- Northeastern University Boston, MA Title: “Trusted Integrated Circuits” (Host: Edmund Yeh)
- University of New Mexico Albuquerque, NM Title: “Trusted Integrated Circuits” (Host: Nasir Ghani)
- Stony Brook University New York, NY Title: “Trusted Integrated Circuits” (Host: Kenneth Short)
- University of Maryland College Park, MD Title: “Trusted Integrated Circuits” (Host: Gang Qu)
- George Mason University Fairfax, VA Title: “Trusted Integrated Circuits” (Host: Kris Gaj)
- Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago, IL Title: “Trusted Integrated Circuits” (Host: Kui Ren)
- Intel Corp. Hillsboro, OR Title: “Trusted Integrated Circuits and Proof Carrying-based Hardware Intel- lectual Property Protection” (Host: Dhinesh Manoharan)
- NSF / CISE, CNS 1319105, “TWC: Small: Collaborative: Toward Trusted 3rd-Party Microprocessor Cores: A Proof Carrying Code Approach,” 2013 - 2016 (PI: Yier Jin, co-PI: Yiorgos Makris, $450K ($240K + $210K)) (REU Supplement $16K)
- UCF In-House Award, “Trustworthiness Evaluation in Integrated Circuits,” 2015 - 2016, $7.5K
- Florida Center for Cybersecurity (FC2) Collaborative Seed Grant Program, “Smart Grid Security Protection through Cross-Layer Approaches,” 2015 - 2016 (PI: Yier Jin, co-PI: Yao Liu, Cliff Zou, $50K)
- UCF COS/ORC SEED Grant, “SmartPhrog: A Responsive Low-Cost High- Performance Bioacoustic Solution Using the Raspberry Pi Single-Board Com- puter for Frog Population Monitoring,” 2015 - 2016 (PI: Anna Savage, co-PI: Shaojie Zhang, Yier Jin, $36K)
- SCEEE/WoodyEverettResearchInitiationGrants,“AvalancheEffectinCyber- Physical Systems Security Under Large-Scale Cyberattacks on Smart Devices,” 2015 - 2016 (Single PI, $32K)
Instructor for Courses Dec 2012 - Present Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department, University of Central Florida
- Graduate Course: EEE 5390 - Full Custom VLSI Design
- Undergraduate Course: EEE 4346C - Hardware Security and Trusted Circuit Design
Teaching Fellow Fall 2010, Fall 2008 School of Engineering and Applied Science, Yale University
- Graduate Course: EENG875 - Introduction to VLSI System Design
Teaching Fellow Spring 2010, School of Engineering and Applied Science, Yale University
- Undergraduate Course: EENG201b - Introduction to Computer Engineering
- UCF cyber cluster faculty search committee Sep 2015 - Present
- Computer Engineering (CpE) faculty search committee Oct 2014 - Present
- ECE representative on the cybersecurity task force committee Aug 2014 - Present
- Faculty Library Representative for the Electrical and Computer Engineering Division of the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of Central Florida 2013 - Present
- PhD Defense Committee: Sirui Luo (Advisor: Dr. Juin J. Liou), Zhixin Wang (Advisor: Dr. Juin J. Liou), Jianling Yin (Advisor: Dr. Jun Wang)
- IEEE Transactions on Multi-Scale Computing Systems. Special Issue/Section on Hardware/Software Cross-Layer Technologies for Trustworthy and Secure Computing.
- IEEE SMC Society Technical Committee on CCPS Newsletter
- Security B-Sides Orlando, 2015, 2016.
- IEEEInternationalSymposiumonHardware-OrientedSecurityandTrust (HOST ’15, ’16)
- International Symposium on VLSI Design and Test (VDAT ’14)
Technical Program Committee
- Design Automation Conference (DAC ’15, ’16)
- Great Lake Symposium on VLSI (GLSVLSI ’16)
- The 28th Conference on VLSI Design and the 15th Conference on Embedded Systems (VLSI Design ’16)
- Asia and South Pacific Design Automation Conference (ASP-DAC ’16)
- IEEE International Symposium on Nanoelectronic and Information Systems (iNIS ’15)
- International Test Conference (ITC ’15)
- IEEE International System-on-Chip Conference (SOCC ’15)
- IFIP/IEEE International Conference on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI- SoC ’15)
- IEEE Computer Society Annual Symposium on VLSI (ISVLSI ’14, ’15)
- The 13th International Conference on Information Technology (ICIT ’14)
- The 23rd Asian Test Symposium (ATS ’14)
- IEEEInternationalSymposiumonHardwareOrientedSecurityandTrust(HOST ’14)
- IEEE International Symposium on Defect and Fault Tolerance in VLSI and Nanotechnology Systems (DFT ’12)
- IEEE International Conference on Computer Design (ICCD ’12)